The Ognon and Saône valleys are home to a number of strategic sites on which fortified castles were built, of which some defences (ramparts) remain today : Champlitte, Gy, Marnay, Gray, Pesmes and Ray sur Saône.
In Haute Saône, most of the area's medieval heritage was destroyed. However, a number of medieval monuments remain, such as the Leffond Chapel in Charcenne (13th Century) and the Saint Christophe church in Champlitte La Ville (11th Century).
Then, in 1678, Haute-Saône became part of the Kingdom of France, marking the beginning of an era of peace and prosperity.
In the 18th Century, a large number of classical churches were built with domed bell towers: the Saint Martin church in Bucey lès Gy and the church in Malans.
In the 19th Century, the period of prosperity enjoyed by Haute-Saône led to the construction of new, utilitarian buildings: over 2000 fountains, wash-houses and cattle troughs were built !
Amongst the most practical of these were the town hall - cum-wash houses, some of which are well worth a visit (town hall-cum-wash houses in Beaujeu, Dampierre-sur-Salon, Vantoux and Longevelle, etc) !